Posts for category: Cosmetic Dentistry
If you have missing teeth, dentures can replace them and improve your life. Dentures are made of acrylic (plastic), metal or nylon. They fit over the gums to replace lost teeth and eliminate problems caused by gaps. Dentures can improve your appearance, prevent problems with speech and eating, and give you confidence. Dr. Stephen Harris in Farmington Hills, MI offers state-of-the-art dentures to his patients. Read on to learn about the different types of dentures that are available today.
1. Complete Dentures: A complete denture is an oral prosthetic device that replaces a complete arch of missing teeth. A complete denture has an acrylic base that fits over your gums.
2. Removable Partial Dentures: Partial dentures are suitable for those who have some teeth remaining. Partial dentures have a flesh-colored acrylic base, metal framework and clasps that connect to the teeth. It can easily be unclipped and removed. Partial dentures fill in the empty spaces created by lost teeth and prevent other teeth from drifting out of place.
3. Overdentures: An overdenture is attached to either two traditional dental implants or two mini dental implants. The dental implants help to stabilize the denture in the mouth. Dental implants offer a way to keep dentures in place and allow people to go about their daily lives with confidence. Traditional dentures rest on the gums, and are not supported by implants.
4. Immediate Dentures: Before permanent dentures, your dental provider may provide temporary (immediate) dentures. Immediate dentures are placed on the same day, immediately following the extraction of teeth. As a result, patients don't have to be without teeth during the healing period. Immediate dentures require more follow-up visits for adjustments and re-fitting.
Take the first step towards a brand new smile right now! Don't delay. Call Dr. Stephen Harris at 248-478-4755 now to schedule a dental consultation in Farmington Hills, MI and get the smile you deserve. Dentures can improve your smile and quality of life.
Improving your crooked smile doesn't have to be a complicated issue. While brackets and braces used to be the norm, if you're an older teenager or young adult, an easier, more convenient solution could be right for you. Available from Dr. Stephen Harris in Farmington Hills, MI, read on to learn all about Invisalign!
How does Invisalign work?
Invisalign treatment consists of custom-made clear aligners that fit over the upper and lower rows of teeth. Functioning much the same way that traditional braces do, the aligners apply a slight pressure on each tooth so that they steadily move into the proper position.
One of the many advantages of Invisalign is that aligners are clear, meaning that no one will even know that you're wearing them, and, even more importantly, they are flexible. This means they won't irritate your mouth's soft tissue.
During treatment, these aligners will need to be worn for a minimum of 20 hours a day. However, you can take them off while eating, brushing your teeth, and flossing. Additionally, you can take them off during special occasions, but that's hardly necessary given that they're transparent. Just make sure you speak with your Farmington Hills dentist about the details since everyone's situation varies.
Benefits of Invisalign:
- Oral Hygiene: As compared to traditional braces, these removable appliances give you more access to the hard-to-reach areas in your mouth while brushing and flossing. Make sure you brush twice a day and floss at least once and then put on the aligners immediately after.
- Discreet Look: No one wants a smile full of metal, so many patients enjoy that Invisalign's transparency allows their orthodontic work to go undetected during your interview, picture day or wedding.
- No Dietary Deprivations: Unlike traditional braces, you can eat whatever you want because aligners are removable.
- Teeth-Grinding Protection: If you have a teeth-grinding problem, Invisalign can be used as a nightguard to protect your teeth.
Interested? Give Us a Call
If you would like to schedule an appointment with your Farmington Hills, MI, dentist, then call Dr. Harris's office today: (248) 478-4755