Posts for category: Cosmetic Dentistry
Find out why people are turning to veneers to craft their winning smiles.
For many, the idea of having a perfect smile might seem like just a pipe dream. From discolorations and misshapen teeth to worn-down teeth and misaligned smiles, any of these common problems can leave someone feeling self-conscious; however, our Farmington, MI, dentist Dr. Stephen Harris is helping people replace self-consciousness with confidence thanks to dental veneers.
Here are the top benefits of dental veneers:
Veneers offer a simple way to repair cosmetic flaws
The dental veneers that our Farmington, MI, dentist offers are made from specialty porcelain that mimics the look of real tooth enamel. Each veneer is also custom-made to cover the front surface of your teeth to hide a wide range of cosmetic imperfections such as chips, cracks, discolorations, and gaps between teeth. They offer a quick, non-invasive way to enhance your entire smile.
Veneers are a permanent solution
Looking for a long-term solution to enhance and improve the shape, size, color, or overall appearance of your teeth? If so, dental veneers are a great option. These medical-grade porcelain shells are permanently bonded to your teeth where they can resist both stains and cavities. With the proper care, your veneers can last up to 15 years before needing to be replaced.
Caring for veneers is simple
Veneers also don’t require any special care or treatment. The way you care for your smile now is exactly how you are going to care for your veneers. You will still need to brush twice a day and floss every day, and you will still need to visit our dental team here in Farmington, MI, for regular checkups, but that’s all!
Veneers may strengthen teeth
Because veneers provide teeth with an additional layer of tough, durable porcelain this cosmetic treatment also has the ability to increase the strength and durability of your teeth. This is particularly good news for someone who may be dealing with worn or sensitive teeth.
If you are ready to schedule an in-office consultation with our Farmington, MI, cosmetic dentist to find out if veneers are right for you, call us today at (248) 478-4755.
A gorgeous set of teeth is a precious asset but if even one tooth is damaged, misshapen, crooked, or discolored, it can easily prevent your smile from reaching its full potential. Fortunately, here at the Farmington, MI, office of your dentist, Dr. Stephen Harris, dental veneers can be used to conceal these defects and enhance your smile. Read on to learn more about what this treatment can do for you.
What are Dental Veneers?
Dental veneers are thin, porcelain-crafted shells that are securely attached to the front of your smile to enhance its shape, shade, and overall look. These days, most people opt for porcelain veneers because they offer light-reflective and translucent properties that are very similar to the enamel of natural teeth.
Although veneers have been around for decades, newer application techniques and materials have modernized this cosmetic dental procedure. This makes it one of the most practical and effective cosmetic treatments in the world.
Prepping The Teeth for Dental Veneers
To begin this process, your teeth will undergo a preparation treatment in which some enamel is removed to allow your teeth to accommodate the veneers. Next, your dentist will take impressions of your prepared teeth and send them to a dental lab where the veneers themselves will be crafted.
Placing The Dental Veneers
Once your dental veneers have been fabricated, the next step is to bond them to the front surface of the teeth. Your teeth will be thoroughly cleaned and applied with a special gel that will make them more adherent. Once this is completed, your veneers will be attached using a joining agent to secure them in place. This will create a sturdy physical bond that creates a flawless unit between your veneers and your teeth surface.
Choosing The Material for Your Veneers
When figuring out which materials to use for your veneers, take note that different materials serve different purposes. You can trust your Farmington dentist to determine the best material that will give you the best results possible. That being said, in certain cases, the material’s durability will be the deciding factor, while in others, the material’s ability to conceal very dark stains will be more important.
Interested in Restoring Your Smile with Veneers?
Arrange an appointment with your dentist, Dr. Stephen Harris, DDS, PC, to learn how veneers can address your specific smile woes. Dial (248) 478-4755 to get in touch with our Farmington, MI, office.
Dental implants are today's premium tooth replacement. Dr. Stephen Harris places dental implants right in his Farmington, MI, office giving patients strong, functional, beautiful smiles that can last a lifetime. Could you be a candidate for a fabulous new smile?
Dental implant specifics
The single-tooth dental implant looks and acts like a real tooth. It has three parts:
- A titanium metal screw, or cylinder, with a specially roughened surface that encourages osseointegration (bonding between the jaw bone and implant device)
- A metal alloy abutment above the gum line
- A custom-crafted porcelain crown that restores the implant with lifelike form, color, and utility
Your dentist accomplishes the entire dental implant treatment right in his Farmington, MI, office. From the oral examination and special three-dimensional bone scans to the surgical placement and crown restorations, the dental implant process is straightforward, comfortable, and predictable. The vast majority of these innovative procedures succeed, and with good home care, dental implants last for many years, even a lifetime.
Can you receive a dental implant?
Dr. Harris will examine you, looking for sufficient bone in the alveolar ridge of your jaw. If your jaw bone is thin, he may augment it with donor tissue or other materials to create the proper scaffold for osseointegration.
Discovered mid-20th century, osseointegration is the process by which human bone adheres to the titanium implant. If you are healthy and have a strong immune system, your body has the ability to receive and integrate a dental implant or even multiple implants as required by implant-supported dentures.
Additionally, you are a good candidate for an implant treatment if you:
- Take good care of your teeth and gums through daily brushing and flossing and six-month cleanings and examinations at Dr. Harris's office
- Are a non-smoker (tobacco usage encourages peri-implantitis, an inflammatory condition which may lead to implant failure)
- Are past the age where your jaw is still growing (mid-teens for girls and late teens to early twenties for boys, reports Dear Doctor)
Find out more
Literally millions of Americans who have lost teeth due to decay, injury, or infection now enjoy the stability, lifelike appearance, and functionality of dental implants and implant-supported dentures. Why not contact Dr. Stephen Harris for a dental implant consultation? Call our Farmington office today at (248) 478-4755.
If you have missing teeth, dentures can replace them and improve your life. Dentures are made of acrylic (plastic), metal or nylon. They fit over the gums to replace lost teeth and eliminate problems caused by gaps. Dentures can improve your appearance, prevent problems with speech and eating, and give you confidence. Dr. Stephen Harris in Farmington Hills, MI offers state-of-the-art dentures to his patients. Read on to learn about the different types of dentures that are available today.
1. Complete Dentures: A complete denture is an oral prosthetic device that replaces a complete arch of missing teeth. A complete denture has an acrylic base that fits over your gums.
2. Removable Partial Dentures: Partial dentures are suitable for those who have some teeth remaining. Partial dentures have a flesh-colored acrylic base, metal framework and clasps that connect to the teeth. It can easily be unclipped and removed. Partial dentures fill in the empty spaces created by lost teeth and prevent other teeth from drifting out of place.
3. Overdentures: An overdenture is attached to either two traditional dental implants or two mini dental implants. The dental implants help to stabilize the denture in the mouth. Dental implants offer a way to keep dentures in place and allow people to go about their daily lives with confidence. Traditional dentures rest on the gums, and are not supported by implants.
4. Immediate Dentures: Before permanent dentures, your dental provider may provide temporary (immediate) dentures. Immediate dentures are placed on the same day, immediately following the extraction of teeth. As a result, patients don't have to be without teeth during the healing period. Immediate dentures require more follow-up visits for adjustments and re-fitting.
Take the first step towards a brand new smile right now! Don't delay. Call Dr. Stephen Harris at 248-478-4755 now to schedule a dental consultation in Farmington Hills, MI and get the smile you deserve. Dentures can improve your smile and quality of life.
Improving your crooked smile doesn't have to be a complicated issue. While brackets and braces used to be the norm, if you're an older teenager or young adult, an easier, more convenient solution could be right for you. Available from Dr. Stephen Harris in Farmington Hills, MI, read on to learn all about Invisalign!
How does Invisalign work?
Invisalign treatment consists of custom-made clear aligners that fit over the upper and lower rows of teeth. Functioning much the same way that traditional braces do, the aligners apply a slight pressure on each tooth so that they steadily move into the proper position.
One of the many advantages of Invisalign is that aligners are clear, meaning that no one will even know that you're wearing them, and, even more importantly, they are flexible. This means they won't irritate your mouth's soft tissue.
During treatment, these aligners will need to be worn for a minimum of 20 hours a day. However, you can take them off while eating, brushing your teeth, and flossing. Additionally, you can take them off during special occasions, but that's hardly necessary given that they're transparent. Just make sure you speak with your Farmington Hills dentist about the details since everyone's situation varies.
Benefits of Invisalign:
- Oral Hygiene: As compared to traditional braces, these removable appliances give you more access to the hard-to-reach areas in your mouth while brushing and flossing. Make sure you brush twice a day and floss at least once and then put on the aligners immediately after.
- Discreet Look: No one wants a smile full of metal, so many patients enjoy that Invisalign's transparency allows their orthodontic work to go undetected during your interview, picture day or wedding.
- No Dietary Deprivations: Unlike traditional braces, you can eat whatever you want because aligners are removable.
- Teeth-Grinding Protection: If you have a teeth-grinding problem, Invisalign can be used as a nightguard to protect your teeth.
Interested? Give Us a Call
If you would like to schedule an appointment with your Farmington Hills, MI, dentist, then call Dr. Harris's office today: (248) 478-4755